For Sibiu, a city over eight
centuries old and a convergent point of numerous
economic and spiritual influences, musical manifestations
have been a constant part of the city life.
Since the 16th century, Sibiu had one of the first
European schools for organ, funded by Heronymus
Ostermayer and the city’s archive contains
music scores signed by composers of the 17th and
It was in 1774, at the court of
Samuel Brukenthal, governor of Transylvania, when
a professional orchestra held its first concert.
In 1792, one year after Mozart’s death,
“The Kidnap from Serai” was played
in Sibiu, and later in 1800, the “Creation”
Oratorio by J. Haydn.
During the 19th century, great European musicians
played in Sibiu: Franz Liszt, Johan Strauss, Johannes
Brahms, Joseph Joachim, Richard Strauss and others.
This musical activity was sustained and continued
by both Romanian and German cultural societies
until mid 20th century.
In the context of the existence of such a great
number of musicians, of a music conservatory,
and of a great tradition in the field of symphonic
and opera performance, the State Philharmonic
of Sibiu was funded on January 1st, 1949.
Philharmonic of Sibiu was and continues to be
a professional institution that, during its 50
years of existence as a state institution, offered
thousands of symphonic and opera concerts, accumulating
a vast symphonic and lyric repertoire.
articles in Romanian and foreign newspapers and
magazines praised the quality of the orchestra’s
concerts and of the recordings for radio and television,
or on discs and CD’s.
At the same time a
great number of tours were successfully concluded
in the country and abroad, in France, Germany,
Italy, Austria, Spain, Russia etc.
Together with the orchestra, famous artists from
Romania and other countries have performed, among
them: Ion Voicu, Valentin Gheorghiu, Stefan Ruha
(Romania), Monique de la Bruchollerie and Jean
Jaques Thiollier (France), Sviatoslav Richter,
Rudolf Kerer, Lazar Berman, Dimitri Baskirov (Russia),
Ivry Gittlis (Switzerland), Monserrat Caballe
(Spain) and many others.
Starting with the 2004-2005 honorary season, the
new location of the State Philharmonic of Sibiu
is THALIA Hall.
Built in 1787 by Martin Hochmeiester, the hall
was destroyed twice along the years, both times
during a fire.
The County Council of Sibiu restarted
the restoration of the edifice in 1990.
The official inauguration took place on October
7, 2004, accompanied by the notes of Symphony
no. 9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.