Starting October 7, 2004, Thalia Hall
is the new location of the State Philharmonic
of Sibiu. Thalia is a cultural edifice of
In 1990, after the
fire of 1826 and 1949, the County Council
of Sibiu started the reconstruction of the
hall, which was finished in May, 2004.
first concert took place on May 29, 2004.
Thalia Hall was built in 1787 by Martin
Hochmeister, the founder of the first book-store
in our country. The construction was a true
architectural wonder with two balconies
and a loge for the Governor of Transylvania.
Today, the main function of the hall is
to serve music, as opposed to its initial
purpose which was hosting theatre representations.
Lacking the necessary space in the center
of town, the theatre was built in the Thick
Tower of the defense belt of the town.
The construction was ready within one year,
offering the opportunity for the first performance
to take place in June 1788, and thus becoming
the first theatre in the country and one
of the most beautiful in Europe.
Throughout the years, many of the famous
names of the Romanian culture such as George
Enescu or Mihai Eminescu stepped on stage
Our national poet acted as prompter
in a play performed by Mihai Pascaly’s
company during “an artistic and national
propaganda trip in Transylvania” in
It was the first play ever to be performed
in Romanian. The company did not pay for
the location because they offered free performances
to the poor of the town. It was said then
in the press that the performances were
sold out and that the town officials were
present at some of the shows, as well as
people from the Romanian villages around
The first fire took place in 1826 and Hochmeister,
himself, repaired the damages. However,
the second one, caused on February 13, 1949
by a lit cigarette, was more powerful and
the activity of the theatre had to be moved
to the building of the former cinema Apollo,
where “Radu Stanca” Theatre
is located today.